08 March 2010

Perchance to Dream

Lisa Mantchev
New York: Feiwel & Friends, June 2010
Grades 9 and up
(Reviewed from galley)

Creative, eloquent, and full of charm and wit, the second installment in Lisa Mantchev's Theatre Illuminata series is just as enthralling as the first. Picking up where Eyes Like Stars left off, Bertie departs from the theater as the illustrious Mistress of Revels on a quest to find her father and save her beloved pirate, Nate, from the Sea Goddess. Joined again by Ariel and her host of troublesome (but delightful) faeries, Bertie will find herself on another haphazard adventure, this time unexpectedly fighting for both the men she loves. Mantchev once again impresses with an array of literary allusions that are sure to convert a few teens to the banner of English class, and manage to wow the rest with a truly unique fantasy world. Fans of the first book will not be disappointed, but newcomers to the series should definitely start with book one to avoid confusion.

2 comments:

  1. First, I wanted to say that I really like the layout of your blog. I also love the colors. :) I enjoyed this review you did because it sounds like something I would like to read. I think it's great that you set up your blog by having book reviews. If I do decide to read this, I will definitely take your advice and read the first book first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of this book. I have a habit of getting into reading a single type of genre or storyline for an extremely lengthy amount of time and it's about time I got away from the comics that I love so much. The blog is nicely done and the reviews are well thought out and descriptive of the book. I really like the picture of the book with the description because I randomly pick up books based on cover art and then read the description to see if it is something that I would enjoy. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete